If you are looking for a simple yet easy, delicious dessert for your Valentine’s Day/Galantine’s date however you choose to celebrate this year or at your next dinner party, you will love these chocolate-dipped strawberries and apples. They look beautiful in their presentation and the taste is out of this world. The end result is a gorgeous treat that is sure to impress that special someone.
Have you ever heard of chocolate-dipped strawberries? They may sound familiar because they are very popular in Europe where they originated. If you have ever been to France, you may have even eaten them before, especially during the summer months when berries and apples are available at markets. This simple delicacy is usually served as an appetizer or dessert with a variety of toppings such as sugar, honey, jams, and sauces. In the most recent years, they have become a worldwide favourite. Topped with nuts, sprinkles, whipped cream cheese, and other creative ideas. Now, however gourmet you would like to get with chocolate-covered strawberries and apples, there are many variations you can use to elevate your experience for your guests, that special someone or for you to enjoy such as strawberry with mascarpone cheese and chocolate sauce, or apple with white chocolate and caramel sauce. The use of complementing flavours can enhance your overall tasting experience.
There are two reasons I love this recipe. The first is because it's not too sweet and comes out to be a little healthier than that of the traditional version. The second is because you can use your favourite fruits or nuts and get to customize the dessert as much as you want.
I know in my case, I prefer using strawberries and green apples because they're sweeter and the green apple has a tart/sour flavour, but feel free to use your favourite fruits. If you have any favourite ingredients that you would like to add, feel free to do so since this recipe can be easily customized to your liking. There is also an option for using milk chocolate candy melts instead of baking chocolate or more natural chocolates, which does make a difference in taste. However, if you're not a fan of milk chocolate candy melts then there is no need for fear since you can simply replace them with the other kind of chocolates whether they be high quality or plant-based.
The recipe that I am sharing with you today is one of the most simple recipes that you can find on the internet. It is also one of my favourite desserts to make and serves as a healthy snack at the same time because it does not contain any added sugars.
· 10 Tiny Granny Smith apples, or apples' slices
· 10 fresh Ripe Strawberries
· 12 cups Freeze Dried Strawberries, finely chopped
· 12 cup Dark Chocolate (about)
· 2 pounds White Chocolate, for decorating or chopped
Use what kind of chocolate for your Chocolate Dipped Strawberries and Apples?
The quality of the chocolate is crucial in this recipe since it is so simple and only requires two essential ingredients. Higher quality chocolate will result in a better-tasting product, and I've discovered that making my own using plant-based milk chocolate is the ideal choice.
You won't get the same quality or melting properties with a cheaper bag of chocolate chips. High-quality chocolate (or baking chocolate chips) has a less processed flavour, softens more efficiently, and helps to give the strawberries an excellent, attractive coating after they have been dipped in the chocolate.
People usually use Ghirardelli baking chips or Baker's Baking Chocolate in recipes, but you can use Lindor, Callebaut, Belcolade. For more plant-based and clean eating options, you can use Enjoy Life, Lily's Sweets. I'm always happy with the quality, flavour profiles and pricing of the products listed. Although most people prefer bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, you can dip strawberries in milk, semisweet, bittersweet, or white chocolate.
Preparation of chocolate for dipping:
Melting chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave is the quickest and most convenient method. Even if you don't have access to a double boiler, you can create one with an essential saucepan and a heat-safe glass mixing bowl.
How to create your double boiler:
Fill a pot one-fourth of the way, complete with water, and bring the water to a low, steady boil.
Put a big (heat-proof) glass bowl on top of the pot and closely cover it with the bowl. Reduce heat to its lowest level and cook for 30 minutes. To avoid spilling water into the bowl, provide a few inches of space between the bottom of the bowl and the water level. Combine chocolate in a medium-sized bowl and mixing regularly until smooth. Remove the bowl from the heat and stir in a handful of the chocolate to begin to temper the chocolate, if necessary. Continue to go until the extra chocolate has melted completely.
Is Microwave melting of chocolate chips possible?
As long as the chocolate chips are high-quality and used for baking, you may melt them in the microwave. Ghirardelli Baking Chips are one of most people’s favourite baking ingredients. Set your microwave to half speed and stir the chocolates every 15 - 30 seconds intervals until smooth.
Recipe to create chocolate Dipped Strawberries:
1. Strawberries should be washed and dried.
2. Prepare the necessary garnishes (nuts, toasted coconut, etc.)
3. Prepare your workstation by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper to use as a serving dish for the coated strawberries.
4. Put the chocolate in the double boiler or microwave it until it has melted.
5. Use a pastry brush to coat or dip, the strawberries with melted chocolate.
6. Using selected toppings, coat the fruit.
7. Place the strawberries on the baking sheet that has been prepared and leave them aside until the chocolate has hardened.
8. Alternatively, pour with melted white chocolate if you so want.
Recipe to create chocolate Dipped Apples:
1. Stick wooden craft sticks or lollipop sticks into each apple core near its stem to make apple cores.
2. Place the roasted peanuts and the candies on two separate serving dishes and set them aside. Make a mental note to put it away.
3. Pour the chocolate into a metal container dish and place it over a pan of slightly boiling water to melt the chocolate completely.
4. Stir regularly until the chocolate is melted. Take the pan off the heat.
5. Apples should be dipped into the molten chocolate and turned to coat thoroughly.
6. Place on a piece of waxed paper after being dipped or rolled in candy or nuts.
7. Repeat the process with the remaining apples.
8. Allow the apples to sit at room temperature for approximately 20 minutes until the chocolate is hard before serving them.
Ideas for sprinkling on top of chocolate-dipped strawberries and apples include:
· Nuts that have been chopped or candied (peanuts, pistachios, pecans, etc.)
· Toasted Coconut sprinkles
· Liquor Pipettes - filled with Baileys, Cream of Punch, Tequila Rose Strawberry Cream Liqueur, Sour Puss, Champagne
· Mini chocolate chips/ tiny chocolate chips that are used in baking (any flavour)
· Crumbs of Graham crackers or Biscoff and a coconut cream cheese filling
· Oreo cookies, candy canes, and Kit Kat that have been crushed
· A white chocolate that has been melted and drizzled on top
· Marzipan shapes
Methods for storing chocolate-dipped strawberries and apples include the following:
Store chocolate-dipped strawberries in an airtight container in a cold place. For up to one day, you may keep them in an open container in the refrigerator on the baking sheet they were put on after dipping them in the chocolate. If you want to serve them the first day you prepare them (recommended), keep them on your counter, uncovered, and away from direct sunlight or heat.
If you like this recipe, you can let me know in the comments below or on social media using #ThompsonsTastyTreats and tag us @Thompsonstastytreats. We’re always happy to see your feedback and love seeing your take on our recipes.
Don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter – you’ll be notified when we post new recipes, plus you get a gift from us ✨A 5-recipe free e-book with our plant-based recipes!